History of the Fox
The building known as the "Fox Theatre" was built by Albert Barnett and opened its doors January 28, 1927 as the World Theatre. It featured five Vaudeville acts of live entertainment every Sunday. The World Theatres, a Nebraska chain out of Omaha, operated the theatre for several years, then turned their lease over to the Rocky Mountain Theatre Company, who in turn sold their lease to The Fox Theatre Corporation.
Remodeling in the 1940's and 50's
The building was remodeled in the late 1940's and then again in the 1950's. The screen area was enlarged to accomodate the latest cinemascope film, seating was upgraded, and the lobby was remodeled. The facade of the building was changed in 1955 with the addition of a lighted marquee, and the stage was also remodeled at this time.
In 1974, the theatre was purchased by Bison Enterprises, Inc., that also operated the Bison Drive Inn Theatre.
In 1978, John and Eileen Hubert bought building, and several operators leased the theatre until 1987, when the showing of movies ceased. During that time the balcony of the theatre was closed off to create a second theatre and a second projection booth was created at the back of the main floor. In 1988, the Huberts sold the building to the Alliance for the Encouragement of Visual and Performing Arts (AEVPA), a non-profit corporation. The Alliance has made the facility available to Theatre Groups, The McCook Concert Association, Storytelling Festivals, Church services and concerts, School concerts and many other organizations.
Renovate and Refurbish
In May of 2005, a group of community-minded citizens assumed control of the non-profit corporation with the intent to completely renovate/refurbish the theatre with the intent of preserving its historical integrity and making the completed project available to area citizens for various uses.
Renovation plans and construction cost estimates are now complete, and the Alliance is in the fundraising process completing various projects as funds become available. The goal being to make the Fox Theatre once again the "Showplace" for the Visual and Performing Arts in Southwest Nebraska.